LIFE IN A SNAPSHOT ❝ personal · photo · blog ❞   |





about
♥ Angela is a student majoring in Information Technology and Informatics. She loves making polymer clay figures, watching TVB dramas, and other DIYs in her spare time. She hopes that this blog will bring you inspiration and entertainment. Thanks for stopping by! ♥

Instagram
@anhelax3

agenda
05/23 Begin Web Design Internship
06/17 Raymond Lam Concert @ AC
07/01 Attend a Wedding
07/09 My Birthday!
08/01 Finish Web Design Internship



twitter


mail


Advertisements



Disclaimer
Layout made by tkh.

Please do not take any photos from this blog and claim them as your own. All photos on this blog are taken by myself unless otherwise stated. Thanks :)


  Internship Chronicles: Week 1
Beginning with this post, I will be writing an entry at the end of each week to talk about everything I have done for that specific week. I figured that this would be a good way to help me remember everything I've done (I'm known to be very forgetful) as well as let my readers get an insight of what's been going on with my life. :) Also might help if some of you guys are looking to go into a web design internship (with no experience)



I already wrote about my first day of the internship before so I'll start with my 2nd day. Also, I don't work on Fridays, which is why I skipped it.



Thursday:
On my first day, they made me do blog commenting on a list of blog URLs that they gave me. It was okay, but pretty straining on the eyes, which was why I didn't like it too much. I did learn a few things from reading the blogs though, since they were all web design related. Today, they only told me to do 10 more blog commenting and then introduced me to the business aspect of web design. They had a customer who needed them to fix up the entire website, so they taught me how pricing works, how to identify and count different templates. They were going to have me sit in on a phone call, but the client ended up being busy so I didn't get a chance to listen.


Afterwards, they had me type up the pricing and information that they went over with me so that they can make the contract. It was pretty interesting since I was wondering how web designers determine the costs. About an hour before I get off, my supervisor, Andee introduced me to TeamTreeHouse, which is an online HTML learning website. It's all videos where you just watch and follow along. I really enjoyed it.


Monday: 
No work; Memorial Day!


Tuesday:
Another new intern began working today, which made me feel a little better since I wasn't the only noobie. haha. Today, they had me write up blog posts for their website's blog. Even though I run a blog, it felt a little intimidating to write entries for them since it was more of a professional blog. It doesn't really help that my English is pretty sucky too. Haha. But I ended up writing two posts that day: an introduction of myself and of the brand and another one that talks about Responsive Web Design. Luckily, I read a few posts about responsive web design when I was doing the web commenting so I wasn't completely clueless. But I still had to do a lot of research to write it up.


You can read the blog here.


I was also introduced to Squidoo. One of the guys had me alter their clients' websites by adding modules to help boost rankings on Squidoo and Google rankings. That was definitely new to me. He basically told me to just alter it so that the links that appear red turn to green links. It definitely didn't work out that way. It doesn't update the rankings right away (which we did not know) which lead to me scratching my head in frustration and took up the rest of my day.


Wednesday:
I went right into finishing the rest of the Squidoo clients that I didn't get to on Tuesday. One of the links turned green overnight, but all the rest (about 20 links) were still in the red, so I had to go back and re-fix them. That was definitely not good...


Andee and the other web designer, Stephen were supposed to go over the blog posts with me, but everyone was really busy so we never got to that. They did, however, have me choose a banner for my second blog post. I also worked with the marketing department and helped them input client packages into their database. Then I did more TeamTreeHouse activities for about an hour and a half until I got to leave.


Thursday:
Today was pretty 'action packed'. First, all the links on one Squidoo account turned green overnight so I only had to redo another account with about 9 links. Afterwards, Andee and Stephen went over the blog posts with me, helped me revise them, and taught me how to post them up onto the website. They also got me Photoshop onto my computer and had me make a banner for the second blog post from the picture that I chose the previous day. Afterwards, the Stephen had me make a responsive design image to put into the post so that it looks prettier. We were originally just going to find a photo of a desktop, tablet and smartphone on depositphotos.com and put it in, but I came up with the idea of editing the screens and putting screenshots of their website. Stephen agreed, but he suggested we use one of their client's websites instead, so I chose one that I really liked and put them on. So yup! I made that mockup on the Responsive Web Design post! I'm so proud! It took me forever too because I couldn't figure out how to do the perspective thing on the desktop screen.


With an hour left of the day, Stephen had me update their dust-covered Twitter account. Good thing I started using it a couple days ago so I was at least somewhat familiar with how it worked. Hash tags confuse the heck out of me for some reason, but I got it down now. lol. I tweeted 3 times and had an extra 15 minutes left over, so I went to browse some web design related news on SmashingMagazine and other sites.

And that concludes my first week of this internship! I actually really enjoy this internship. The time goes by pretty fast when I'm there, which is a big plus. I definitely wouldn't want a job where the hours are going by like days.


Feel free to leave any questions or comments you may have... or even any exciting/funny experiences that you guys had during your internships! :)




Thanks for reading!

Labels: ,



< O L D E R P O S T | N E W E R P O S T >



© Layout made by tkh/mk.